Wednesday, May 22, 2019



May 20, 2019
On the 14th, I went to see my Eye Doctor, Casandra, who checked all but couldn’t get a good reading for the pressure int the eyes. She referred me to Dr. Pearse, an ophthalmologist who removed my cataracts. I went to see him the next day and he went through many tests but on in particular is of interest. It is the picture of the eye’s breadth of vision. The left eye was broad, but right eye quite narrow (glaucoma, destroys the peripheral cells limiting peripheral vision.)
 Ha. The picture was exactly the same as it was 6 yrs, ago when I first went to him. He was happy. He said that there was no deterioration in 6 yrs. Exactly the same. And it will be the same in another 6 yrs. The eye drops, every night, are working well. The pressure, 16 in each eye. He says, couldn’t be better. Nice to hear some good news once in a while.

It is now May 22, 2019
     Yesterday, May 21, Mike Pillay and his friend Benjamin, picked me up and took me to Hillcrest hospital where I was scheduled for another MRI at 11:30. We were supposed to be there at 11am and arrived at about 10:30 to check in. I was in my trusty wheelchair. A Doctor Rheeder (anesthetist) had decided to have a conscious sedation ready for me. Conscious but barely, like sleeping soundly though. It was past 11:30 and he still wasn’t there. I asked what was going on and was told that he was getting a 7month of child ready for a scan so we waited till 12:20. Then I had to get undressed and put on a lovely gown (underwear still on) but one that goes on frontwards. Ha. Have a wee and then he comes to push me to the room where the machine is. He asked me to climb up on the bed/table and I just looked at him. So he just picked me up like a new bride and laid me down in the machine, gave me a jab, and the next thing I Knew is that he was there saying it is all over. Finished. I was supposed to go see the neurologist who would go through the scan with me but because it was so late (about 4pm—I think the scan---whole spine and brain was about 1 ½ hrs. ). Mike had gone to fetch his kids from school and was back in time to take me home. Dr. Rheeder phoned the neurologist to tell him I wasn’t in shape for a meeting and he was sending me home. So, off we went, much like before, still a bit groggy and weak in the knees.
    I ate supper (hadn’t had any food since midnight the day before, except for a tiny sandwich which Mike’s wife had prepared for me). After supper, to bed since I didn’t think I would enjoy the news. Not much sleep last night but I phoned the Neurologist’s office this morning (Dr. Colin Wolpe) and his receptionist said there is a gap at 10:45 so I will be taken there, once again, by my friend Michael Pillay. I am anxious to hear what he has to say and I sure hope that he sees where the problem is so that we can get this thing over and done with and go back to some sort of normal living. In the meantime, I am requesting your prayers again and putting myself in God’s hands hoping for the best and getting ready for anything else. Take care. Fr.Cas

No comments:

Post a Comment