Monday, April 1, 2019



HA.Here it is April Fools, April 1, 2019,
    I guess that it is pure laziness that I haven’t felt up to putting anything in my blog. I kinda wanna, but it never gets beyond that. Actually there really isn’t much happening apart from the fact that I continue to faithfully do my exercises, as painful as it may be, stretching and pulling what doesn’t want to be stretched and pulled, and it lets you know it. But I am strongly motivated (Patriarchal thoughts, male macho) by the fact that there are a good number of aging nuns who are far less physically fit than I (there’s the mach coming out) who must have done these very same exercises as I am doing and you would never guess, when you see them walking that they have had a or two knee replacements. Can I let these octogenarians put me to shame. As one of the famous independent homeland leaders once said, Oupa Gqoza, Boputhatswana,  “if he did it, I can did it”.
     On the 22nd of March, my friend Shirley picked me up and took me to my “hairdresser”, hmmmm. For a haircut. Back and sides is all that was required. The post Christmas skinhead cut lasted quite a long time.
     I manage to go up to my room, on and off, several times a day because I need this or that or have to print something or make a photocopy, but I go up one step at a time, good foot first (that’s what they told me, to take the weight off the bum knee). (some fresh clothes, a couple of shirts, some shorts, underwear, socks, etc.
On the 24th , Sunday, a family said they would like to come and visit me and is there anything I would like them to bring. I told them to come and bring three or four samusas. ( I was using WhatsApp, and the prescriptive text said to bring samuels…damn). They couldn’t figure out what I wanted. I had to send a second message but it was too late. Bloody prescriptive text putting the wrong words in my mouth.
   On the 25th I had an appointment with Dr. Naidoo who took out the remaining staples. I told him that I couldn’t get it straight as I wanted and that is seems to be always swollen, and there were still times when there were some spasms. He didn’t seem perturbed but seemed pleased with what he saw and that picked up my spirits. He also gave me a scrip for the pharmacy for some combination anti-inflamatory, and pain tablets.  They certainly helped. But sleeping is still a problem. I don’t take a diauretic but I pee regularly, like Old Faithful, just about every hour on the hour. I don’t mind, because I can fall asleep again almost instantly, if there are no spasms or coughing fits.
  On the 26th I finished my financial report. I make a financial report every month of what comes in and what goes out to our bursar, Br. Tendai, and he refunds me for my normal expenses. Many of you have sent  donations to Mariannhill to be used to help people, and I don that regularly too, but I don’t ask for refunds for that. I am trying to use the money for what it is intended, helping people…school fees or other school needs, rents, food, transport, house fixing after a storm, etc. etc. etc. Once in a while a doctor bill. One of the ladies who worked here went totally blind and she didn’t get paid for months and now has no income at all and no way of earning one (if anyone has a suggestion as to how a blind lady, 40 yrs. Old, could do something to earn a bit of an income I welcome any thoughts). So, from time to time I transfer some money to her account for rent, water, electricity, food and other monthly commitments she may have.
    On the 27th Dr. Kheswa came by for his usual pop in visit ( he gives his time free to the sisters and us once a week and is available if there is an emergency any time). He noticed that I was speaking with a heavy voice and said he would order and anti-biotic and ask Br. Michael (Our home grown male nurse) to bring it to me. He never came and was only on the 30th that he explained that either the doctor had forgotten or he thought I wasn’t ready for another antibiotic now (thinking that I might have been given anti-biotics by the doctor who did the job. I had no medication at all.
     There were a few visitors here and there but not many. I also check my own blood pressure from time to time. On Thursday the 28th, it was 144/90/77, if you know how to read  blood pressures. Not bad for an old man.
     I just found out that those red pills are for pain. The other night I took two of them because it was very uncomfortable trying to sleep with complaints coming loud and clear from the abused knee. Then I found out that I was supposed to be taking 2 of them 3 times a day. So I worked out a schedule about every 8 hours so that it covers the territory for the whole day. It seems to be working. I am happy about that.
     Mike and Net Pillay just phoned that they will be coming by with the kids on their way back to where they go to school. They had a two week holiday and one of them, Amelia, celebrated her birthday. I will wish her a happy birthday and make a plan to do something special when I am more mobile.
    Hey, that’s it for now. See you soon. April 1st. Time can’t go fast enough for me now.
    By the way, I checked on Google, how long the swelling of the leg lasts. Wow. They say, 3 to 4 weeks after the op, but even  3 to 8 months. Hey, pray for me. Love and Peace, Cas.

No comments:

Post a Comment