Thursday, March 21, 2019


    It is actually the 22nd today, Human rights day here in SA. Let me give you an idea what has been happening since March 3rd.
March 4th—feast of St. Casimir so that meant cake and some nice wine. Also my brother Bill’s birthday. I think he has passed the 70 mark. He is getting old.
Holy Moses.
March 6th, Ash Wed. My resolution was to be a patient patient  when the knee got done. I will explain
     It was also the day when Katrina, my lovely grandniece arrived from Kenya after being healthily delayed by a strike. But she made it and spent some days catching up with old friends from the time in 2015 when she volunteered for the whole year to help at our orphanage. She had come back from the biggest slum in Africa, Kibera, in Nairobi, again volunteering, this time for only 6 weeks. She says that she learned a lot that is hard to put in a CV.
We had a couple of lunches together and a couple of beers too, although it was already lent.
March 9th—in the morning we visited several friends here and there (me being the willing chauffeur). In the afternoon we visited the orphanage with the staff of Consolidated Travel who brought gifts and games for the kids and gave Katrina a chance to renew old friendships and start some new ones.
I quit taking services at the hospital and Savannah Park to give my knee a rest before the op.
March 11-14, my friend Steve Askin, a seasoned journalist, together with his wife, brought 8 Home schooled teen agers to spend a few days in and around Mariannhill/Durban. With some friends we organized some activities for the two days they had (12-13). They arrived late on the 11th and wanted to leave early on the 14th. In the meantime they tried to organize a trailer for all their luggage, and I tried to organize a mechanic to do a service for the vehicle. Unfortunately, the vehicle was a Nissan 12 seater made in Japan and bought in Zimbabwe. No parts available here. But and oil change and some basics were possible.
On the 13th in the morning I said goodbye before they set of on a tour of our lovely area and I went off to the hospital for a total knee replacement which was done on the 14th. One day in ICU, (Thurs. Op,   Friday half day ICU, Sat. half day ICU, rest of the day in the ward with a visit from the physiotherapist who taught me some basic exercises and we went fort the first short walk. Sunday, another visit from the Physio, this time a longer walk, not with the 4 legged walker but with some what are called elbow crutches. More and longer walking and more lessons and she said I could go home on Monday because she wished that all her 50 yr. old patients would be as good as this 83 yr old codger. Affirming. But I am determined to get on the plane for the home leave beginning of the 31st of May, and I felt I needed more of her knowledge and experience so I asked he to come on Tuesday when the doctor also said I could be discharged.
So, since the 20th, I have been here at Mater Dolorosa, old folks home, on the ground floor, trying to be faithful to the exercises bending the knee and making it bend a bit more each day and trying to get it to be straight, which is a real job, and it squeals when it feels that you are pushing it too much. Well they always said, no pain no gain, and here is a good example. I haven’t taken any pain pills yet but asked to have some handy just in case I want to jump out of my skin. The biggest problem is the bloody spasms. My let will just go into a spasm over which I have no control and it is like It has a very strong spring that forces the knee to bend almost totally and makes you want to scream. It has been slowing down but every once in a while it catches you off guard and you have to squelch a shout.
March 22nd—some friends just went to get me some of those elbow crutches. If they bring them today I will start using them.
Well that is it for now. If I can get someone to show me how to put a picture in this blog, I will do it. Nice picture, with staples not stitches from above the knee to about 6 inches below the knee. Keep the prayers coming. Lots and Lots of love and really looking forward to the home leave and sooooo happy to have this op behind me. I just pray that nothing goes wrong now. Cas

1 comment: