Monday, April 29, 2019


May 4, 2019
     I am in good health and raring to go, but I am troubled by ongoing spasms that really shouldn't be. I will see the physiotherapist twice more and the neurosurgeon to get more feedback regarding this troubling matter. When I sit for a few minutes and then want to get up, holy moses, what a scene. I can hardly walk and it takes some time to get it calmed down. When I asked and even Googled about spasms after a knee replacement, it they should be expected, and especially after the spinal op, the answer was "it will slowly die down". Well it didn't and I don't know if that means that there are more nerve problems or what. So, after consulting with them again, if I don't get a straight answer, I may have to cancel the whole trip, which , for me at this exciting stage would almost be like saying "there is no God". Aside from that, all systems are go. Damn!
     Next week we should have an answer. I can't imagine me sitting in a confined airplane seat and then trying to get up to have a pee or to just exercise and going through all the strange contortions as I work my way back towards the toilet. Ha. 
   If it is the nerves again, that could be serious. I will let you know. But time is running out. Pray please.  Cas.


April 29,2019
    Holy Week was a scream. I have been moving around with elbow crutches, but at least I can move. But Bishop Lobinger and I didn’t want to leave Fr. Macarius alone here in the house while all went  the holy week services to the monastery or somewhere else. So we three did the services (cut down to the bare minimum) ourselves., Bishop Lobinger who is pretty deaf,  Fr. Macarius, who is almost totally blind, and me, barely movable. Ha. God must have smiled.
   Otherwise, things have been slow. I can drive but haven’t gone far not to push my luck. I went to the hospital to thank the staff for their support and prayers and to the convent to do the same and to talk to one of the sisters who had both knees done some time back and you would never guess it to see her walking. I also went shopping several times and to the pharmacy to get some medicines for the whole home leave time. Wow, expensive. But I said that I  didn’t think that the pharmacist in the US would accept a scrip that was written by a doctor in SA.
      On the 25th I saw Dr. Naidoo and I knew that he was going to scold me because my leg still wasn’t straight, but he was very diplomatic and told me to see a physiotherapist. I made an appointment for the one who worked with me before I was discharged, and I am sure that she will also be unhappy, but I hope that she can help to get this leg straight before I climb on the plane on May 31st to start my home leave. My appointment with her is on Thursday the 2nd of May, 3 days from now. I was thinking of trying to get some physio help from St. Mary’s hospital but the people I contacted never got back to me.
    I also went to a local post office to renew my car registration. Less crowded than the registration centre. Ha. When I cam marching in with my crutches, I found there were about 20 people in front of them and I was at the last chair available, but I get really stiff if I sit for long so I decided to stand. After about 7 or 8 minutes, the lady who was at the counter came to get me and bring me to the counter. The clerk wanted to give me a break. I apologized to all the people (lots of Africans---I hate people who jump the queue and especially here in South Africa with our apartheid background, for a white to jump in front of so many Africans, is not a good move) and was happily surprised when, especially the Africans said, Mkhulu (Old man, grandpa, a word of respect for senior citizens and old people in general) telling me to go ahead that I deserved special treatment, not because I was white but because I was an old man who needed respectful help. I was really touched and thanked them for their kindness.
    My friend , Shirley, paid me a visit and brought a nice bunch of Samusas. Mmmmm. 
This morning I got a surprise phone call from Doctor Buthelezi, one of the directors of St. Mary’s Hospital. He asked how I was doing and what kind of operation I had had, etc. Then I aked him about the possibility of getting some physio there at St. Mary’s. He said he would contact the physiotherapist and get back to me. In a few minutes he phoned back and said to go to the physio dept. at St. Mary’s tomorrow before 10am. Hooray.
     I am hoping that we can work our a physio program to get this bloody leg straight so that I can walk nicely onto that plane.
  I will be having positive sweet dreams tonight.
 There were other things like visitors, a new lighter computer to take the place of the outdated Ipad or a Tablet, which would be better for travelling. But the main thing I am thinking about is getting ready for my home leave. I have already thrown things into my suitcase , the first stage of packing for the trip. Ha. I can taste it already.
     Thanks to you all for your love and support. I will be seeing some of you this summer. Take care and remember that one of the major lessons of Easter is that Good Friday is not the end of the story (whether it is Trump or something personal or a world going down the tubes). The end of the story is Easter, totally unexpected, unbelievable, never could have imagined it. There is always hope, no matter how bad things may be or seem to be. Easter means Hope, along with new life and lots of love. Cas

No comments:

Post a Comment