Wednesday, April 11, 2018


April 9, 2018, (now drifting into April 11th)


    Finally, I get around to collecting my thoughts for the blog. Always dragging my feet. Well, let’s get started. We are now talking about Holy Week. First, the car still wasn’t here. Bad. Promises, promises. It was taken for road testing, after putting it back together after the accident, but, would you believe, the system was down. It passed everything but couldn’t spit out a document. I still don’t have it, but at least it passed. I waited and waited on Holy Thursday, and, finally, about an hour before the service was to start, it was returned. But the dim lights didn’t work, so the brights were set so they wouldn’t go in the back window of the guy in front, but at least they worked.

     We started the service about 7pm and I had already suggested that, because of my troublesome knee, kneeling could be a problem, let me wash hands instead of feet. The people knew my problem so it was accepted and worked rather well. I was able to look straight into the eyes of the one whose hands I was washing and it was a kind of moving experience for both of us. It was and act of love. There is a saying in Zulu/Xhosa, that says, “the hands wash each other”, which is the message of love from the gospel. Help one another, reach out to each other. So I think it connected. The Mass ended with a procession with the blessed sacrament, a parting gift to us and an ever present gift of the Lord…always accessible. We stayed and prayed for about a half hour and then all went home. Me too. It was about 9:30 or so. Hosts had been consecrated for tomorrow since there would be no Mass, just communion from the hosts consecrated on Holy Thursday.

      Good Friday was a typical overcast day where the rain managed to just hold out, with a few leaks here and there. We started the Stations of the Cross at about 1pm. Children had been stationed about 30 yards (metres) apart with a picture of the station held up for the crowd to see. One in Zulu and one in English, so that everyone was catered for. The rain, miraculously, held off, but with a few minor leaks. Then came the usual service. Readings, the Passion, the veneration of the Cross, communion and then removing everything from the altar…really the total absence of any sense of Christ’s presence. Sadness, mourning.

     Holy Saturday started, after breakfast, with the final grass cutting for Easter. I used the morning to do that, and it gave me time to think and meditate. It is an African custom to have a kind of revival (wake) at a funeral or in connection with a big feast. People sing and pPray and preach and do, informally, what they never have a chance to do formally. So We started at 8pm and about 11:30pm took a break, had a cup of tea and a scone, and then we started the Evening service at midnight with the blessing of the fire, and the lighting of the Candle, representing the Jesus who shattered the darkness of sin and evil by his Resurrection, and came bringing us himself as the Light of the World, lightening our way through life, showing us the way, the path to life. Lots of readings, as usual, recollecting the history of God’s every presence with the people of Israel from the creation of the world, through Abraham, the Exodus, the prophets and kings, etc. right up to the time when all was fulfilled with the coming of Christ, as had been promised.  The Easter candle was sung to and praised, the bells were rung, the Gloria was lustily sung, with great joy, after the long and sometimes depressing events of Lent, especially that last week.  Hope came into our lives once again.

    We finished about 3:30pm on Easter Sunday and people then made their way home to get a few winks before the feasting, visitors, etc of the families, as usual at Easter, began.

     I decided to attend the 9am Mass at the Monastery chapel, and there met a good number of friends and it was nice to celebrate together. Lots of Joy.  I was proud of our people who did the readings and the passion and the singing to perfection so that everyone felt touched.

     But there was a sting in the tail.



Easter Monday I went to Vodacom to get a program whereby I could start using the internet again at the old folks home but at my expense. I had almost nailed down a good deal when I needed some information from Br. Tendai. I managed to get him on the phone and he talked to the Vodacom rep and in the end it was decided to get 1GB of data for the time being, rather than commit myself to a 2 yrs. Contract, since he was working on getting the problem solved for Mater Dolorosa (our old folks’ home).  At least that was a step forward but still, as far as I am concerned, in the dark.

     I joined the Pillays as they celebrated the birthdays of their three adoptive daughters for lunch and a birthday party. Then, in the evening was the traditional braai vlais (cook out) at the monastery celebrating Easter. A full day.

     Tuesday,  the mechanic came to take the car and correct the few things that needed correcting, so I was carless for the day, which was fine. Already on Easter Sunday, I felt something in my throat that was just beginning, but by this time on Tuesday, it had developed into a nice and persistent cough. The car was brought back in the afternoon and I decided that tomorrow, Wednesday, I would go to see Dr. Kheswa. Which I did, on Wednesday morning. He gave me a shot in the bum (ouch) and gave me some antibiotic capsules (a full five days worth, don’t stop in between, right to the end) and some cough mixture and some other things. Too many bloody pills!!! But, wow,. After lunch, on Wednesday, I laid down on the bed and was zonked. I think I went down for supper but came right back and climbed back into bed. Thursday morning, I sent a message at 4:30am to sister at the hospital, and to two other nurses, that I wouldn’t be coming for Mass that morning. Ha. I spent the whole day in bed. When did that ever happen before, Cas, in bed. Never. But there you have it. I was wiped out. Coughing like made, feverish, weak as a little lamb. I manged to surface on Friday and went to the hospital for Mass but then went off, later in the morning to  stay with a couple down the South Coast, kind of a laid back weekend. Still coughing but, little by little, easing off and improving. I also stopped to see what was happening at our Retreat house, Coolock House, which is undergoing renovations, thanks to our Confrered, Fr. Matthew Kim, who has harnessed the Korean community to help with the renovations. In fact I discovered that he is presently at home in Korea, probably organizing some funding so that the work and continue. We had a laid back Saturday, with only a nice walk  to the sea and an very captivating movies called “Silence”, about the persecution of the Christians in Japan (Macao).  Gruesome, but makes you think about how we romanticize persecutions and martyrdom.  The reality is what Isis is doing today.

   Sunday we had a home mass, just the three of us, and then went to the golf club where there was a fund raising event for the St. Vincent De Paul, society, to put some money in their coffers to help people in need. I left about 2pm and headed for home. I did a lot of lying down, as I felt pretty weak, but eventually it paid off. I Managed to have mass at the hospital Monday, Tuesday, and today,  and feel that I am getting my strength and energy back, after spending too much time lying down.

    Tonight we have a meeting of the fund raisers for St. Therese of Liseaux. I will let you know how things are going and what our next venture will be. We are hoping that we can have a simple church built by Christmas. Keep fingers (and toes) crossed. Stay well till next time. Cas

No comments:

Post a Comment