Thursday, January 31, 2019


Jan. 31, 2019
I thought about what the doctor said and began to think that waiting till October means that I will be grinding that knee every day, so better I check when he can do the op and get it over with early so that I have time to practice and exercise. But I have a lot of commitments in between.
   I leave for Mthatha on the 12th of Feb and come back on the 17th. We have a board meeting for the Sabelani young men on Sat. the 16th. These are Fr. Guy’s guys. We want to keep the project going as long as possible. I will be bringing some old clothes to the village at Landsend and will be keeping in touch with others who have been helpful and supportive over the years.
    From the 18th to the 21st of Feb. A friend is coming from Rome to do some interviews with those involved in the struggle against apartheid. He organization supported the anti-apartheid movement in Italy way back then and they want to know how these old activists feel about the post-apartheid South Africa.
     My Grand niece, Katrina, who is now volunteering in Kenya (Kibera, the biggest slum in Africa) will be coming for a few days from the 6th to the 10th of March.
     From the 11th to the 14th that group is coming from LA and I have tried to organize some interesting visits during that time. They leave on the morning of the 14th and I go into the hospital on the afternoon of the 14th. The operation is the next day on the 15th. Then, they say, one day in ICU, and 5 or 6 days in the hospital learning how to walk with the new knee and doing the exercises to make it strong.
    I intended to go to Cape Town from the 3rd to the 9th of April ( that is when the air fare has to be used or lost). But since it is so soon after the op, I thought that I had better check with the doctor to see if he approves. Here’s what I wrote.
Dear Dr. Naidoo,
     I was supposed to have a wedding on Dec. 2nd, last year, but because of the surgery by Dr. V.D.Merwe, the flight was posponed till April 3 to 9, 2019 . That would be about 2 weeks after getting out of the hospital and going home (to Mariannhill). I am planning on using that air ticket but it would mean going to the airport, getting on and off the plane and then doing my exercises wherever I would be staying in CT. 
    But, considering the seriousness of the situation, even if , as I intend, use a wheelchair, do you think it is OK to make that trip?
    I don't intend to drive at all but I just wanted to have your opinion, yes or no, before I make a move. People are waiting for me, especially the couple that I disappointed, but my present and future health is the main focus now.
    Please let me know if you will allow it or if you think it is pushing things too much.
    Many thanks. Fr. CAs. (James) Paulsen
I should get an answer tomorrow, so the secretary says. Then I can plan more surely,the way forward.
   Some friends are coming from the States and will be here on the 9th and 10th. They arrive in the afternoon of the 9th and I get back from Cape Town on the morning of the 9th. I tried to organize for them a meeting with the Cardinal as they know each other from before. Vern was a representative of the Catholic Charities and they were happy to finance HIV Aids projects for many dioceses.
   I am not sure how this is all going to work out with a “fake”knee, but we shall see. I already told my friends in CT that I won’t be able to drive so they will have to come and fetch me and they are lovingly agreeable. I will know, I hope, tomorrow what I can and can’t do.
Hey, you all, stay well and keep up the prayers.
   Tomorrow is my grand niece’s birthday, 31 or 32 I think. (Oh, to be so young again.)
And Feb. 5th is aunt Rose’s 101st birthday. Wow. I hope that she hangs on so that I see her when I go on my home leave later in the year.
    Oh, one other thing. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the quotation for the hospital. R156,000. The doctors was kind enough to cut down his charge from R50,000 to R20,000. That was very kind of him as the operation takes 3 hours and means that he has to do a lot of studying to know exactly how he is going to tackle the problem. Any way, I figure that at the going forex rate that comes out to about $15,000. So, again, if your parish wants to support a good project, let me know.
     I look forward to seeing most or all of you this coming summer. I am a family/friend junkie.
Love and Peace, Cas.


No comments:

Post a Comment