Friday, January 31, 2014

This is what I wrote this morning.
  I can’t imagine a worse disaster. The cable that leads to the transformer has been stolen by thieves. We have had no electricity for three days and three nights. To top that off there is no water coming from the mains. That means that we rely on the water in the tanks. But it is inaccessible because it depends on electricity to pump it to the taps. What it means practically is that: can’t cook, can’t boil water (especially for babies and we have a few), can’t bathe, can’t flush the toilet, etc. It makes like totally impossible.Also, because there is no electricity, out security has been compromised because I had to disengage the gears of the electric gate so that it can be operated by hand. That means that anyone can do it, including thieves,  If people decide to move away it will be a financial disaster for Mariannhill because this is our only local source of income. And it comes at a time when I have already mostly packed and am ready to leave in a few days time for my new home at Mariannhill. I have already organized other things that side like my niece and her husband who have come on a visit to South Africa.
    If I could have planned a total disaster, I don’t think I could have thought of something worse except, perhaps, a Tsunami or hurricane.
    I am frustrated and demoralized right now. We were on the verge of solving a long standing problem. Now this.

I started this day at 3:30 because I couldn't sleep any more. I was frustrated because the modem wasn't allowing me  to send or receive emails so I left about 4:45 and drove up to the Ultra Save Petrol statiion and tried to send some messages out from there because there was a better signal. Then I went off to have Mass for some sisters and after Mass went back home to change into some old clothes so that I could walk through the bush to the transformer so that I could take pictures of the damage that had been done and to prove that it was Eskom itself that had to replace the cable not us. To make a long story short, I visited the offices of Eskom three times and came back and checked the transformer twice to make sure that we had electrcity, Finally at 2:30pm it came back. Everyone has to throw out all the stuff that was in the fridge and freezer but we can wash again, and cook again, and charge our cell phones again, all the things that one takes so for granted. 
     I am super tired and will hit the sack very early tonight. Time is flying and in 5 days I will be on my way to my new life. We shall take it a day at a time, and let everyithing up to you know who. Love and Peace, Cas

No comments:

Post a Comment